In such magnificent natural environments as Amazonia and the Mekong Delta, the team at Aqua Expeditions can see very clearly that responsible, eco-friendly operations play a crucial role in protecting the health of the people, wildlife and natural environments where we cruise. We are genuinely committed to keeping the great rivers of the world clean and beautiful, for today and for generations to come.
Read more about Aqua Expedition’s support of local environmental conservation and wildlife protection initiatives in our Live From the River blog.
Watch a video about our wildlife preservation work in Peru’s Amazon restoring the taricaya turtle population with the help of local environmentalists in the Pacaya Samiria National Reserve:
Sustainable Travel Policies
To achieve our company goals for sustainable travel, Aqua Expeditions has successfully developed a number of responsible ecotourism practices with standards set well above the environmental protection requirements of local regulations.
On our cruiseships, these include:
Our ships’ engines are the most fuel efficient, quiet, and virtually smoke free. We operates a specialized wet exhaust system to minimize the emission of CO2 (carbon dioxide) and reduce our carbon footprint. To minimize noise and vibration on board, our marine generators have been encapsulated. All these measures comply with the latest IMO and U.S. EPA standards.
Expedition skiffs come equipped with the latest ecologically sound outboard engines providing Three-Star Ultra-Low Emissions, as certified by the California Air Resource Board, and producing significantly lower emissions than engines meeting U.S. EPA standards.
Ecolab provides the most effective and efficient cleaning, food safety and infection control programs available worldwide. Our use of their cleaning and sanitation products increases safety, lowers consumption of water and energy, and reduces the chemicals and waste released into the environment.
All waste is treated onboard in fully contained storage tanks that comply fully with IMO and U.S. Coast Guard standards. The result is 100% clean, sterile water that can safely be discharged into the rivers. Remaining waste materials unsuitable for this process is collected during the journey for delivery at disembarkation for recycling or responsible disposal.
Aqua Expeditions is equally committed to identifying and helping to meet the needs of the people of Amazonia living in Peru’s Pacaya Samiria National Reserve as well as our newer Cambodian and Vietnamese neighbors along the Mekong River. This includes environmental conservation and protection of natural resources surrounding these communities, and supporting education as well as environmentally friendly ways for these people to earn their living.
1. Educating residents of the communities we visit in natural resources management.
2. Providing ongoing community support to encourage the protection of endangered species such as the manatí sea cow, paiche freshwater fish and a variety of great monkeys, as well as aguaje palms, lupuna trees and others indigenous flora.
3. Working directly with village artisans to promote the replacement of animal products such as feathers, claws and skins with sustainable alternatives in the creation of local handicrafts.
4. Funding repopulation projects for threatened species such as Peru’s Taricaya turtle through release programs.
5. Promoting sustainable tourism to residents of the communities we visit as an economic alternative to over-use of natural resources within their territories.
Watch a video showing Aqua Expedition’s community support in action in the Amazon produced by Micheala Guzy of Ohthepeopleyoumeet.com: